“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ~Eleanor Roosevelt
Hard work pays but positive mental attitude contributes a whole lot more than you think it does. It’s quite normal for people to feel like they are stuck in a rut at times. You are not happy neither are you sad. You may have a job, supportive family and friends but still feel unfulfilled and unmotivated.
Things feel like a routine that you have to go through anyway. You may read motivational books and listen to the empowering speeches but when all is watched and read, you will know that it is in your ability to accept what “is” in this moment.
Make a choice.
Here are 8 tips to help you make that choice:
1. Remember that you are powerful. Most of the time we have no idea what we are supposed to be doing, or who we are supposed to be imitating. We conform to the external environment. We are not our professions. We are not our feelings. We are not our circumstances. We are not even our mind. What we are is far greater, far superior, far more important, and far more mysterious than our concep-tual mind tries to define. This is why we are far more powerful than we think we are.
2. Choose to embrace life. Let go and embrace the moment, whether it contains an obstacle or an op-portunity. Stop fussing over trivial matters and start focusing on what’s really important to you. Be bold and courageous, and make decisions that benefit your growth. Start as soon as possible to make any necessary changes you may need to. Take the first step before more time gradually passes by while you stand still stagnating. Your choice. Your life. Your responsibility. Your power.
3. Realize that you get to control your reactions. We create our outside reality by the thoughts and beliefs we maintain about life in general. What we believe in our inner world, we see in our outer world—not the other way around. We all have problems, and we’re often tested by circumstances outside of our control. Even though you may not be in control of what’s going on outside of you, you most definitely can control your reaction to those situations. We have the power because our inner world (cause) affects the influence we allow the outer world (effect) to have on us.
4. Know that no one is better qualified. We place far too much emphasis on other people’s opinions about us, often to the exclusion of our own. This takes away from our own personal power. Nobody knows you better than you do. Never accept another person’s reality as your own. Always believe that you can achieve anything you put your mind to. And, most importantly, never let another person’s opinion of you affect what you believe about yourself.
5. Believe that you are more than enough. If you have to compare yourself to someone else, let it be a person who is less fortunate, and let it be a lesson to learn just how abundant your life truly is. It’s just a matter of perspective. You may find that you are not entirely grateful for what you possess. If you focus on what you have, and not on what you lack, you will always have enough, because you will always be enough.
6. Love yourself. You have arrived. Everything you need is right here. Cut out the distractions, open your eyes, and see that you already have everything in your possession to be happy, loved, and fulfilled. It’s not out there. It never was out there. It’s in the same place it was since the day you were born. It’s just been covered up by all the external things you have identified with over the years. Be yourself. Love yourself completely and accept everything that you are. You are beautiful. Believe it, and most importantly, remind yourself often.
7. Stay cool. If someone skips the queue; we may feel our blood pressure begin to rise and feel the need to react in a negative manner. We get uptight with other people’s actions, and in the end we punish ourselves for their bad behavior. But we are responsible for our own action, regardless of how rude other people may act. If it’s hard to stay cool, remember: you are the one who loses in the end, if you lose the lesson.
8. Journey well.
We know life is about the journey and not the arrival. We don’t need to arrive if we accept that we are already here. Be content with where you are today and don’t make the mistake of putting off being happy because you are waiting for the right moment to shine. Sometimes it takes a conscious effort to enjoy the journey.
Not everyone woke up this morning and not everyone will go to bed tonight. Life has no guarantees. Every minute you are living is a blessing that has to be experienced in the moment. It’s not always easy, but it’s always an option—a choice. Your choice.
By Declan O’Flaherty
Adapted from TINYBUDDHA