On this 98th day of January, I’d like to assume all of you reading this are doing just fine and by January next year you would have planned better. If not, maybe you are trying to drag yourself past all the negative energy that make the month sound worse than it already is. The month has decided to stretch itself further than we are used to. How can a single month have 5 weeks, with days most spread out on working days! At least its coming to an end.
That’s the thing with life, nothing in it is an emergency, but being the procrastinators we are, we will always get caught under the January spell. And when people talk about it like it is a plague, believe me; little by little it will become the monster and the plague haunting you for days on end. Ever heard of it’s all in the mind? It is true and I shall testify from experience. When you believe there is nothing in your account when you have little or enough to take you through, that money will disappear so fast from your account you will request for statements everyday; which costs money either way.
Technically, you get just about the same amount of salary you get every month or maybe even a bonus. Then we get a little too excited with the jolly season. I think you should earn the whole holiday experience. In November, take yourself through your income and your expenditure and look at what you have saved then see how much partying you can afford. Maybe if we gift ourselves accordingly we will not be waiting for pay-day come first week of the month.
Going mum about the situation, sweeping it under the rug won’t solve anything, but it just might save you the ulcers you are about to develop. Take it as lying in the bed you made yourself. If you are already in the ditch, you need not wallow in your situation either. Take what you have and work with it. Don’t jump to borrowing yet because it will result to a cycle you might never get out of for the better part of the year.
How you handle your January is how you handle pretty much the whole year and probably your whole life. As it is still January till Friday, *sigh* we might as well choose to take the initiative to plan ahead for January 2015 (if we will get there) or blow it all up celebrating the end of January (too many January’s in one paragraph). P.S you can follow through those resolutions- if you have any, becoming a better person is the least you can do for you this year.
Man rules at last a guy has taken the time to write this all down finally, the guys’ side of the story. (I must admit, it’s pretty good.) We always hear ‘the rules’ from the female side now here are the rules from the male side these are our rules! Please note. These are all numbered #1 on purpose!
1. Men are not mind readers.
1. Learn to work the toilet seat. You’re a big girl. If it’s up, put it down. We need it up, you need it down. You don’t hear us complaining about you leaving it down.
1. Crying is blackmail.
1. Ask for what you want. Let us be clear on this one: subtle hints do not work! Strong hints do not work! Obvious hints do not work! Just say it!
1. Yes and no are perfectly acceptable answers to almost every question.
1. Come to us with a problem only if you want help solving it. That’s what we do. Sympathy is what your girlfriends are for.
1. Anything we said 6 months ago is inadmissible in an argument. In fact, all comments become null and void after 7 days.
1. If you think you’re fat, you probably are. Don’t ask us.
1. If something we said can be interpreted two ways and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, we meant the other one.
1. You can either ask us to do something or tell us how you want it done. Not both. If you already know best how to do it, just do it yourself.
1. Whenever possible, please say whatever you have to say during commercials.
1. Christopher Columbus did not need directions and neither do we…
1. All men see in only 16 colors, like windows default settings.. Peach, for example, is a fruit, not a color. Pumpkin is also a fruit. We have no idea what mauve is.
1. If we ask what is wrong and you say ‘nothing,’ we will act like nothing’s wrong. We know you are lying, but it is just not worth the hassle.
1. If you ask a question you don’t want an answer to, expect an answer you don’t want to hear.
1. When we have to go somewhere, absolutely anything you wear is fine. Really.
1. Don’t ask us what we’re thinking about unless you are prepared to discuss such topics as football or motor sports.
1. You have enough clothes.
1. You have too many shoes.
1. I am in shape. Round is a shape!
1. Thank you for reading this. Yes, i know, i have to sleep on the couch tonight. But did you know men really don’t mind that? It’s like camping… pass this to as many men as you
“New Year new me” could be most annoying terminology this time of the year. It has grown old because most of us have realized the deal with resolutions. We either have the same old ones we had last year and the other five years or they are a tad too unrealistic.
The year after I cleared high school, I set absurd resolutions after reading think big and literally dreamt being big and wanted to be big; by force. When that year came to an end I had done absolutely zilch with my life. I was so disappointed and beat myself up for a long time how unproductive I had been. Then January came and as soon as it was February I had forgotten where I even jotted the resolutions. To be honest I wrote them down and I have never found the paper to date.
Year in year out we do the same things expecting different results. It will never happen. Personally, I stopped making resolutions. Only targets over a specific and realistic timeline. That way I am able to work on things step by step without much stretching. It’s never that serious and besides we want to have fun while we are at it. Always remember happiness is key and balancing your social and corporate life is an art you should master at all costs.
Reinvention is not overnight business. It is a process. A holistic process if I might add. In all those serious things you jot down do not forget to add fun things from your bucket list. If you want to climb mount wherever, don’t wait until you are 50, because you could’ve probably developed a lifestyle disease that won’t allow you exposure to such. Find friends your age (or not) with the same interest and encourage each other to save up for that particular trip if you cannot afford it first-hand.
It is important when each day you work towards what you want to achieve. Piece of advice, never put until tomorrow what you can do today. That is the devil that will pull you back tomorrow and the day after and before you know it, you are far from starting. Do not do things just because everyone is doing them. Do not go to the gym just because so and so is going. If you feel the need to, feel free. The thing you should never forget however is, the only person you should be competing with is yourself. When you keep outdoing yourself, you will finally get where you want.
I don’t want to be like Oprah; having all that success with no one to share it with. I do not want to be like Tyra or Michelle or whoever. I want to be a better version of me and the only way to do that is reinvent myself every waking day. You’ve heard life is short before, right? Now do yourself a favour and corner regret this early.